- “Radam „
- Definition The Jamaican slang Radam is a form of expression which became popular from a TikTok meme.
(Patois) Anything sweet yuh gwaan sour yuh rass, Radam!
(English) Anything that you feel good about is going to bring disgrace.
- “Nawmal a lie „
- English Translation: This is normal, is that a lie?
Slang phrase popularize by Dancehall Artist Jashii , which, when punctuated is written as “Nawmal, a lie?”.
This particular phrase is use to ask or state that a particular scenario is very common.
(Patois) Mi spen 100 gran pan clothes todeh, nawmal a lie?
(English) I spent $100K on clothes today, this is normal, is that a lie?
- “Kotch E Hat A Lie „
- English Translation: Angles the hat, is it a lie
- Definition Slang phrase, which is an advancement of the popular slang “Normal a lie”. This phrase is used to showcase ones expertise in a specific task that they’re doing. The person using this phrase may wear their hat at an angle.
(Patois) *Ben does something awesome*, Paul: “Kotch e hat a lie?”
(English) *Ben does something awesome*, Paul: “Kotch e hat a lie?”
- “Guzu „
- English Translation: Black Magic
- Definition the use of supernatural powers or magic for evil and selfish purposes; or magic associated with the devil or other evil spirits.
(Patois) I've been unlucky ever since, feels like they used black magic on me
(English) Mi salt fram wen, feel like dem guzu mi
- “Duh di rite ting „
- English Translation: Do the right thing
- Learn correct word pronunciation
- Understand grammar and structure
- Handy everyday phrases
Beginner's Guide to Speaking Jamaican Patois
Looking for a quick and easy way to learn Jamaican Patois? Our Beginner's Guide has everything you need to get started;
Get Your Copy